Currently his research group is focusing on heterologous and synthetic pathway engineering by kinetic modeling and multiple gene assembly in hosts E. coli and Lactic acid bacteria. The group has pioneered engineering of acrylate pathway and the major thrust is in overcoming the bottlenecks associated with acrylate pathway leading to an array green chemicals such as propionic acid, beta alainine and other products. Further, work is also focused on developing redox balanced microbial chassis for acrylate pathway in Lactobacillus reuteri by utilizing glycerol as carbon source in milk whey medium. Products include green chemicals such as1,3-Propanediol, 3 Hydroxypropionic acid, 2-oxobutanoic acid, alpha amino butyric acid in E. coli /Lactococcus lactis. The focus is also on biopolymers, poly-3 Hydroxypropionic acid and poly hydroxyalkanoic acid. An exclusive fungal fermentation facility has been created for process optimization and currently work is in progress fro the development of technology for the production of cellulases in Trichoderma viride
Publications in International and National Journals in the Last Five Years:
- Ramalingam.S., Gautam. P., Mukherjee. K. J. and Jayaraman.G (2007), Effects of Post-Induction Feed Strategies on Secretory Production of Recombinant Streptokinase in Escherichia coli, Biochemical Engineering Journal 33(1), 34-41.
- Ramalingam. S., Vikram. M, Vignesh Babu and Sivasankari (2007), Flux balance analysis for maximizing polyhydroxyalkonates production in Pseudomonas putida, Indian Journal of Biotechnology, 10, 70-74.
- Thangadurai. C., Suthakaran P, Pankaj Barfal, Anandaraj B Ramalingam S and V. Murugan (2008), Rare codon priority and specific position in 5’ of the target gene modulates the protein expression in E. coli. Biophysical Biochemical Research Communication 376(4), 647-652.
- Bhuvanesh.S, Arunkumar.C., Kaliraj.P, Ramalingam .S (2010), Production and single-step purification of Brugia malayi abundant larval transcript (ALT-2) using hydrophobic interaction chromatography, Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology 37(10), 1053-1059.
- Hema.V, Vijayalakshmi.K, Gopi.GR, Ramachandran.KB, Jayaraman.G and Ramalingam.S (2011), Glycerol conversion to 1,3-Propanediol is enhanced by the expression of heterologous alcohol dehydrogenase in Lactobacillus reuteri, AMB Express 1(1), 37.
- Geethalakshmi. S, Narendran. S, Pappa. N and Ramalingam.S (2011), Development of hybrid neural network model to predict feeding method in fed-batch cultivation for enhanced recombinant streptokinase productivity in Escherichia coli, Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology 87(2), 280-285.
- Vijayalakshmi.K, Hema.V,Djurdjevic.I, Jayamani.E, K.B.Ramachandran , Buckel.W, Jayaraman.G and Ramalingam.S (2013) “Engineering E. coli with acrylate pathway genes for propionic acid synthesis and impact on mixed acid fermentation”. Applied Microbial Biotechnology, 97,3, 1191-1200 .
- Jolly.J,Hitzmann.B, Ramalingam.S and K.B.Ramachandran,(2013) ”Biosynthsis of 1,3-propanediol from glycerol with Lactobacillus reuteri: Effect of Operating Variables. Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering,(Accepted for Publication Ms. Ref. No.: JBIOSC-D-13-00679R1)
- Vaidyanathan, Hema, Suppuram, P, Gopinarayanan, V.E., Purushothaman, Y and Ramalingam.S (2013), “Enhancement of 1,3 –propanediol production in Lactobacillus reuteri by fed batch cultivation”, Asian Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Environmental Sciences, vol.15, no.4, pp. 57-62.
- Kannan.A, Ramalingam.S and Gautam. P (2014), “A study on Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilm formation using atomic force microscopy.” Asian Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology & Environmental Sciences, Vol.16, pp 379..
- Kannan.A, Karumanchi S.L., Krishna.V., Thiruvengadam .K, Ramalingam.S and Pennathur Gautam.P (2014)“.Nanoscale investigation on Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilm formed on porous silicon using Atomic Force Microscopy.” Scanning, Vol.36, pp 551.
- Gopi.G.R., Ganesh.N., Pandiaraj.S., Sowmya.B., Brajesh. R.G. and Ramalingam.S (2015) A Study on Enhanced Expression of 3-Hydroxypropionic Acid Pathway genes and impact on its production in Lactobacillus reutri. Journal of Food Technology and Biotechnology, Vol. 53(3)
- Gopi.G.R., Ganesh.N., Pandiaraj.S., Sowmya.B., Brajesh. R.G. and Ramalingam.S (2015) Bio-transformation of Glycerol to 3-Hydroxypropionic Acid Using Resting Cells of Lactobacillus reuteri. Current Microbiology.,Vol.71(4):517-23.
- Eiteman.M.A and Ramalingam.S (2015) “Microbial Production of lactic acid.”Biotechnology letters 37:955–972
- Kannan. A, Karumanchi. S.L., Ramalingam. S., Gautam. P., (2016) “Quantitative study on the effect of calcium and magnesium palmitate on the formation of Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilm”. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 49(6):988-991.
- P. Gururaj.P.,Ramalingam.S., Ganesan Nandhini Devi.G. , Gautam.P.,(2016) ‘’Process optimization for production and purification of a thermostable, organic solvent tolerant lipase from Acinetobacter sp.’’ Brazilian Journal of Microbiology,Vol. 47, (3), Jul–Sep. 2016, Pp 647–657
- Delivered talk for invited lecture titled “Design and construction of heterologous acrylate pathway in E. coli and L. lactis for propionic acid synthesis” at Mepco Schlenk Engineering College Sivakasi
to deliver a guest lecture on 17th March 2017. We will be
> > honored to have you here for the event entitled ‘*National seminar on
> > Contemporary issues in Bioprocesses Engineering -NCBE’17
- Delivered invited lecture titled “ Kinetic modeling of heterologous acrylate pathway in E. coli and lactic acid bacteria to elucidate the bottlenecks limiting the flux in the pathway. “ Bioprocessing India held at Mohali on 15-17 December,2016
- Delivered Invited talk- titled “Synthesis Of Biofuels By Multistep Pathway Engineering” on 21.7.2017 at International Conference on Renewable Energy and Sustainable Environment RESE 2017, Dr Mahalingam College of Engineering and Technology, International Conference, Pollachi, 20-22nd July 2017
- Conducted one day symposium titled SYNTHETIC BIOLOGY AND PATHWAY ENGINEERING on 2.12.2016.
Associate Professor, Centre for Biotechnology
Anna University, Chennai 600025